Kiikarit ja kumisaappaat

Thursday, May 17, 2012

15.5.20212 Black-Necked Grebe and Terek Sandpiper

Finland's 31st Black-Necked Grebe (Podiceps nigricollis) had been present since 10th May at Kouvola. So seeing as I had finally returned my bachelor's thesis, it was time for to twitch!

Leaving Joensuu only at 1pm, I drove through Kitee towards Parikkala. An American Wigeon had been seen at Parikkala's Pohjaranta, last seen 13th May. It wasn't present when I got there, although I had already seen Honey Buzzards and a Cuckoo, yearticks for me. At Pohjanranta there were about 5000 Barnacle Geese as well, stopping on their way to Siberia.

At Parikkala I received a call from Antto, who told me that a Steppe Eagle was present at Virolahti, Vilkkiläntura. At this point I made a mistake - perhaps - and prioritized Kouvola's BNG over the eagle. So, I drove to Kouvola.

It was late spring in Kouvola. An Hortolan Bunting, a Wryneck, Sedge Warbler and Common Rosefinch. Walking towards the levee road, I suddenly heard a voice that was familiar, yet unknown. One second of frantic thinking while the call seemed to approach and then I got it: Terek Sandpiper, my first spontaneous and second ever! Woohoo! The bird fell to a flooded field and disappeared. Happy, I called Antto who told me that the bird had already been seen a few days earlier. Scheisse! Well, nevermind, it was still nice and I count it as semi-spontaneous! After that, the real star of the place, Black-Necked Grebe, seemed kinda dull.

Black-necked Grebe is a rare vagrant to Finland: before spring 2012, only 27 had been recorded, previous two in 2011 and 2008. However, there was a small influx this year: birds at Mäntsälä, Jalasjärvi, Siikajoki, Kouvola and Ylivieska.

After this I decided that I had not driven enough, so I headed for Virolahti's Vilkkiläntura. Didn't see the Steppe Eagle, which was ominously "not present at the same tree it had been sitting for the entire day." Left at 9pm, started talking to phone, and at 9:42pm noticed a SMS sent at 9:24: "The bird is not visible from Tura, but can be seen from [nearby] Linnunlahti". Fuck this! Didn't turn around, and the entire debacle left a bit sour taste in my mouth. Vouched for revenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment