Kiikarit ja kumisaappaat

Tuesday, May 29, 2012

17.5. Collared Flycatcher, Steppe Eagle

Yes, so I skipped work today - weather forecast promised heavy rains to Inkoo. So I went twitching.

My first target was a Viikki tick - a male Collared Flycatcher (Ficedula albicollis) that had been present since the 13th. Bird was easy to see and hear, it kept singing all the time. On my way back I also heard a Red-Breasted Flycatcher (F. parva), giving me full flycatchers for the day.

From Kotka I picked up Antto. We headed for Virolahti to twitch the Steppe Eagle. Near Virojoki we got a message: A Lesser Spotted Eagle, coming towards us from Lakakallio. Waited for about 20 minutes, didn't see. Who cares!

Nipa just... sat in a tree. Watched it for a while, then got bored and drove to Linnunlahti (across the bay). Nipa made a short aerial show for us. A male Garganey was nice.

We drove to Teboil to fill the tank. Antto bought a roiskeläppä. Thought about trying to twitch a Montagu's Harrier, but skipped. Drove to Hamina, tried to see if the previously seen Blue-Winged Teal was present. Wasn't. At Lupinlahti we heard a Bittern and three Great Reed Warblers. Drove home.

Krys!

No comments:

Post a Comment